Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Starting things off

I really don't know what else to call it. I want this to be a place where I can share some thoughts on the goings-on in our city (Kamloops, BC) province and country. Those who know me, know that I am a bit of a political junkie! This is particularly try around social issues. So much of this discussion will be devoted to things like affordable housing, mental health, addictions, poverty and disability issues. Please, feel free to add you comments or links and I may (or may not) post them.

My current issue is housing. I am working on a 'comprehensive' directory of safe, affordable housing in the Kamloops area. What do you see as the pitfalls to this? Do you have any ideas that may help with making this an easily updated resource? I want this to be as community-based as possible and I know that many of you may have already started or completed one of your own. Perhaps we could collaborate and make this a really inclusive project.


We know that there are lots (though not nearly enough) of affordable housing options for people. But how can this resource be coordinated to provide the greatest and easiest access for people? And what about the ethics around safety? You know the places I'm talking about - they're affordable but safety and security are not even a consideration. Would you in good conscience refer a client to those places. How would I get around that in a community directory?

I look forward to your opinions.
Sheldon

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sheldon--one strategy that you might look at is to develop a property management enterprise and offer this to landlords--by setting it up as a biz, landlords can relate to the idea, and in fact, you might create some jobs. This way, you can build in the client support and contend with issues and the landlord doesn't need to be in the picture. The landlord pays a fee but this is usually a bargain for them. The model I am thinking of is Altira a women's org in Van that has developed this kind of biz over the last few years. cheers Sandra Mark