Friday, March 17, 2006

Moving right Along

I was right. Although, not in an arrogant way. But, there are at least 3-4 housing directories in the city that other agencies have put together. I have found one at ASK, the E Fry Society, People in Motion and the Interior Indian Friendship Centre. If there are others out there I would sure appreciate knowing about it.

My greatest concern is that I will simply duplicate what has already been done. Only mine will have more pamphlets! Some have told me that the most success their clients have is in...the classifieds! This, along with the relationship that the professional has with various landlords.

This may be the case for others. If so, what would be the most useful kind of directory to have? Should it include brief (or more than brief) descriptions of the housing resource? Should it be printed, online or both? what about updateability?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheldon,
I agree that the classifieds are often a good resource because they are CURRENT. As for "updateability", the internet is probably the best way to go. Updated, relevant info could then be printed off (for those who are unable to access the internet) and posted regularly (weekly?) on a board for people to easily see.

Your point about the relationship a professional has with a landord being helpful has not always been the case in my experience. Sometimes, if past tenants sent by a professional have created a problem for a landlord, the landlord may hesitate to take referrals from that professional again (though we can certainly try to educate the landlord about NOT generalizing about groups of people). Additionally, many people with disabilities, or those on any type of fixed income, may NOT want to identify themselves as such to a potential landlord (and nor should they have to). In those cases, obviously a professional should not deal directly with the landlord.
Good luck with your project, Sheldon. I think you are off to a good start.

Anonymous said...

See www.themoneycoach.ca/p/books for the most comprehensive resource directory in Kamloops. The cost is well worth it, and temporary as the information quickly returns the investment multi-fold.

As a landlord, I can say that people make a far better impression on me showing up alone.

I count on a tenant to be able to act independently, without intervention, to do the things required by a tenant. I subsidized suites for 18 months and learned some hard, and expensive, lessons that put my own housing in jeopardy. I welcome people receiving welfare, people with disabilities, single parents, etc, as well as people able to work, etc. My criteria is only that someone will follow through on their contract with me --an issue based on responsibility and willingness to access help as needed-- not on one's source of income, employment status, abilities, etc. I think I just digressed majorly. What was the question??